Friday, November 6, 2009

Ideas from the group on how we can SHOW gratitude to our children!

Thanks for all the responses. I've listed them below.

I do want to add one tremendous idea that KerryK mentioned to me a while back. For Lent one year she served plain rice EVERY DAY for lunch, reminding them that for so many people in the world this was ALL they got to eat, no breakfast, no supper. How's that for effective!

I do need to keep in mind that this is the only lifestyle Kate knows. She has always lived in a house, with a bed, with a closet full of clothes, a room full of toys, and food at every meal. She knows nothing else. I guess it's my job to find ways to expose her to reality for most of the world's children. Please and thank you is nice, but an "attitude of gratitude" is what I'm shooting for.
- giving her old clothes, coats, toys etc. to charity.
-maybe having her go with you to willow tree to make that donation. and talking about the kids who will be able to use these.
-donate food for the food drive so a child can have a full belly at Thanksgiving
- putting together a Christmas box together for a needy child
-have her help to earn the money for a new toy for the giving tree at Christmas for a girl her age
-adding in her prayers how grateful she is for all God has provided for her, and praying that he will bless the other boys and girls in the world that don't have enough food or a warm bed.
- Start with talking about Thanksgiving and work at a food/shelter for part of Thanksgiving Day. There are lots of kids even in town who only have one pair of pants.
- You could take her and volunteer as a family to a woman’s shelter or a food drive or something along those lines to show her that there are many children that do not have clothes, or toys or even a meal some days.
- We went thru and packed up all the toys that the boys never hardly played with and cleaned them up for the Willow Tree toy drive. I told them that there are children that live in their town that wouldn’t get any toys for Christmas from their parents and that helped the boys understand.
- Sometimes volunteering can make a big difference. There is always the internet as well. You could show her 3rd world countries. (Of course I would watch the stuff first). :)

No comments: